Re: Rollback question

From: Jac <jacxine_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:46:43 +0300

You can bring the rollback segments offline, but like the expert said, u can't tell Oracle not to use it. You can bring all the online segments offline(except SYSTEM rollback segment - that's a no can do) but ur delete statement will error out. Oracle searches for any available online rollback segment in any tablespace for its use. If its doesn't find one - error ( this does not include the SYSTEM rollback seg). Ur solution would be to create a pretty large rollback segment & set the transaction(eg. delete) to use that particular rollback segment OR do the delete using a procedure with a commit after every - say 1000 or more deletes( depending on the size of ur rollback segment). Hope this helps u.