Re: Sequences?

From: damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:38:00 GMT

There is no relationship between MS Access's autonumbering and a SEQUENCE. The autonumering is part of the table and is only capable of sequential numbering. It has no flexibility, no programmability, and is strictly tied to a single table. All it is is the following code built in and hidden from the end user.

SELECT MAX(numbering_field)
INTO next_number
FROM xyz;

INSERT INTO xyz
(numbering_field + 1, other_field1, other_field2) VALUES
(next_number, someval1, someval2);

Daniel Morgan