Re: How to organize passwords?

From: Martin Doering <doeringm_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 06:50:02 GMT

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:18:59 -0000, "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>alternatively you might mean we have so many database users we can't keep
>track of their passwords. In which case my response would be that you
>shouldn't have to. all you should be able to do is change the password for
>your users and set it to expire immediately. (and maybe unlock the account
>if it is configured to lock). A password system that requires the sys
>admins to know users passwords is a buggy system. (btinternet please take
>note).

Yes, this is right. We don't store passwords for our database users, if they are real persons. But we have much of, what we call "technical users". E.g. we connect to Oracle with Tuxedo. So there is a user for it.

We have lots of instances and have to manage them with 4 people. So I thought, I'm not the only one. And maybe somebody has a good tip how to do this.

--
Martin