Re: How to organize passwords?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:18:59 -0000

What exactly do you mean?

Do you mean our admins have got so many Oracle passwords we can never remember them all. In that case I'd suggest using some external authentication system for your dbas then you get single sign on. Or you could keep a password file in a secure area (to which of course only the dbas would know the password - you can see where this is going).

alternatively you might mean we have so many database users we can't keep track of their passwords. In which case my response would be that you shouldn't have to. all you should be able to do is change the password for your users and set it to expire immediately. (and maybe unlock the account if it is configured to lock). A password system that requires the sys admins to know users passwords is a buggy system. (btinternet please take note).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA