Re: SQL Problem

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_alltel.com>
Date: 11 Feb 2002 06:15:28 -0800

bliessen_at_gmx.de (Carsten Bliessen) wrote in message news:<3c677d44.1983482_at_News.CIS.DFN.DE>...
> Hi together,
>
> I have a little problem with an SQL Script. I need it for an Oracle 8
> DB wich was installed from our Software company wich supports us. Now
> I must change some data for myselfn and construct this script. But it
> dosnīt work and I canīt find related information on the Internet - of
> course I can find the Failure Code and some explanaitons, but it
> doesnīt meet my Problem - in my opinion. Perhaps you have a tip for
> me?
>
> Script:
>
> update
> (
> Select a.x as wert
> from y a, z m
> where m.nr = x.nr
> and a.wert2 = '1'
> and a.wert3 = '10'
> )
> Set wert = '6'
>
> The failure Code is: ORA-01779: cannot modify a column which maps to
> an non key-preserved table.
>
> Thatīs my Problem, I can't do anything with the information "a non
> key-preserved Table".
>
> Anybody an idea? Anything is helpfull, THX
>
> regards
>
> Carsten Bliessen

You are trying to update a view, an in-line view to be exact. "wert" is a column in the view that maps to table Y column X. But there's not enough information in the query to identify which rows in Y need to be updated.

Check your ORACLE manuals about updating views.

HTH,
  Ed Prochak Received on Mon Feb 11 2002 - 08:15:28 CST