Re: Look for second hand licences for Toad 7.2.0.0 and PowerAMC

From: Noodles <noodles_at_aol.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2002 01:26:29 GMT

<< That they are copies is irrelevant on two counts. First because the cost of bringing a copy to market is not that much less than bringing a new drug to market >>

I'm sorry Dan, I disagree. In small molecule discrete synthesis, I takes about 3 weeks to make 1 compound. One out of every thousand synthesized is not active. One out of every active 100 has prohibitive side-effects. Consequently, 1 per 100000 has potential for Phase 1 clinical trials.

This is where the generics jump in because they already KNOW the structure of the active ingredient. Three hundred thousand person-weeks do not need to be performed by the generics.

Yes, other businesses do copy from one another but I contend that all car companies ( from your example) do know how to functionally create a car. Finding a molecule that provides benfit is a totally different genre.

For example, One product on the market today has a specific 3D orientation. ( L-isomer) If the D-isomer, also created in the synthesis, was not effectively removed before sale, it would kill people. As you can see the difference between help and harm is very subtle and can be deadly.

If a car company makes a bad car is just gets classified as a lemon and has a myriad of manufacturer recalls. If a drug kills someone, it's kind of hard to perform a recall and say "oops".

Cliff

<< >>