Re: Look for second hand licences for Toad 7.2.0.0 and PowerAMC 8.0.1.2.7.5

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 12:35:25 -0000

A reasonable point, except that many of these products are "me too" copies of existing drug which are no more effective than existing drugs.

There are also paradoxes involved like the introduction of direct advertising to patients which has driven up all drug-companies' advertising costs without at first sight being better off for it.

Of course a free market tends to the most economically efficient mechanisms, but patents are themselves are a deliberate obstacle to the free market in order to address a market failure and it makes sense to ensure that such a mechanism is not being abused and if other market limiting mechanisms might be useful.

Having said that, drug companies appear to have a much stronger case for patent protection than the ludicrous patents that seem to becoming prevalent in IT.