Re: Look for second hand licences for Toad 7.2.0.0 and PowerAMC 8.0.1.2.7.5

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 12:16:20 -0000

C = customer
S = salesman

S can I help you?

C I'd like to buy a car.

S I'm sorry - you're not allowed to do that

C What?

S No. You can however have an indefinite license to use a car. It's much the same thing.

C I'm going to another car dealer.

S I think you'll find we all do this now.

C OK. Well how much is that car over there.

S That car is £30,000 plus an additional £10,000 pounds for each person who rides in it.

S Unless, or course, you do more than 10,000 miles per year, in which case it will be £60000.

S Or park in more than one location when there is an additional multi-parking fee of £10000.

S Per location.

C You're taking the p.

S I think you'll find all car dealers do this.

C I don't like that colour, can I have it in blue?

S Certainly, though all our cars obviously have our company name in 3 foot high letters.

C Surely, I could just have that removed?

S In that case, we would take the car off you without refund.

C This is getting silly.

S I think you'll find all car dealers work this way.

C What's the fuel consumption?

S In our tests it managed 100 mpg. Your mileage may vary.

C That's remarkably efficient. What do people get out of it in normal use?

S They can't say.

C Eh?

S Our license explicitly forbids discussion of performance or fuel consumption figures. I think you'll find all car-dealers have similar terms.

C Well I suppose it will still be cheap to run. What are repair costs like?

S You have to pay 20% of the purchase price for servicing and repair and then will make good any defect we feel like fixing.

C So, it's very expensive and you can choose not to repair it?

S That's right.

C I don't think I'll bother

S I should remind you that our license prevents you having the car serviced or repaired anywhere else, so if it breaks down you're stuffed.

C That's ludicrous!

S It's perfectly normally in the car industry. I should also point out that opening the bonnet is against the terms of the agreement and will result in the confiscation of the vehicle.

C What's the resale value when I come to sell?

S. I'm sorry, but you can never sell it - we continue to own it. We might or might not give you a trade-in value when you buy a new car.

C And people put up with this?

S They have no choice - all car dealers work this way.

C Well I suppose I'll have to accept it myself.

C I need to fill up with petrol and your price is outrageous. Is there another petrol station nearby?

S Well you can, of courses, use petrol from another vendor, but that will invalidate your service agreement.

C But I've just paid £20,000 pounds for that.

S It would be wise and cost-effective therefore to buy our petrol.

C I need a new lightbulb for my car.

S What year was it bought.

C 1999

S I'm sorry, we don't make parts for that vehicle any more.

C What?

S We can't be expected to continue supporting every model we've ever made and anyway, the new model is much better. You'll have to live with only driving during the day or buy a new model. If only you had the 2000 year model, I could have offered you a special upgrade price, but you'll have to pay full price again....