Re: access and odbc error with a database link

From: Anne Nolan <anolan_at_enabletech.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:38:44 -0800

I have an Access app that's a front-end to an Oracle back-end with triggers on the tables, but have never seen the problems you mention.

Some things to check:
- Oracle permissions on the table, and how you are connecting to the Oracle tables.
- Do the Oracle tables have primary keys? If not, Access won't allow you to insert records. (I don't think it'll stop updates to existing records, though.)

Oracle itself should not care that the data changes are coming in via ODBC.. a trigger will fire if the relevant action is occurring on the table. If you disable the trigger and just try editing the data in the table from Access, does that work? (It may not be a problem with the trigger, but with the connection setup.)

Hope this helps,

Anne Nolan