Re: Data transfer problem....plz reply soon

From: Jon Yi <jon.yi_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:52:42 GMT

You may want to read up on Oracle Replication Manager and see if you can use it. If you do not have it, or not excited about using it (it has many packages), here is a nutshell of poor man's one way replication : I would not use export since it creates a dump of all records. Use it for backups.

  1. On each client site, add a trigger to copy updated records to a temporary table.
  2. When things are quiet, 1AM for example, have some type of "cron" job dump the content of the table into a comma delimited file. Mark those rows as "processed". Ship it to the server using ftp. If you must use dial up, you need to use scripting to handle all this.
  3. Server runs another cron job that verifies that all the files are in place, and apply them as an Update/insert , and create log files showing Failure or Success. Send this file back to the client and let it delete all the "processed" rows from the temporary table if it was a Success.
  4. Repeat the same following day.