Re: How to insert/retrieve a BLOB ?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2002 06:59:16 -0800

premjhere_at_yahoo.co.in (Prem J Khanna) wrote in message news:<11af2de9.0202070357.4dd95421_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello everybody ,
>
> i am on oracle 8.1.6 / NT .
>
> can anyone explain with a simple example to
> insert/retrieve a BLOB using PL/SQL ?
>
> it's very urgent . help me out guys .

Pull your Application Developers Guide - Large Objects, there is an entire manual on working with lobs using the dbms_lob package.

You just reference the dbms_lob.read(parameters). The parameters are the column name, starting position in the lob, and number of bytes to retrieve but I do not remember the order.

There are functions for loading lobs from files, appending to an existing lob, copying, comparing, finding a string within the lob, etc....

The manual is full of examples and if you do not have a documentation disk I am told that PDF versions of all the manuals are available on metalink.

HTH
-- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Feb 07 2002 - 08:59:16 CST