Re: Data transfer problem....plz reply soon

From: Himansu <m.himansu_at_sify.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2002 03:33:57 -0800

Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote in message news:<3C6184F6.2314D6FD_at_home.nl>...
> Himansu wrote:
> >
> > Hello !
> >
> > We have a system in which the same database is running in
> > several Client machines(desktops) on Personal Oracle.
> > We have another machine(say server)with the same database which is
> > connected
> > (through dial-up network connection) to each of the client machines
> > in different times during the day.
> > The need is to transfer all the new transactions to the database on
> > the server
> > from each of the client machines when the connection is on.
> >
> > One approach for this as I see is to send the dmp file(incremental
> > export)
> > to the server each time the connection is on and then to import this
> > file on the server.
> > But this involves manual work at both the ends.
> >
> > Is there any other way in which the transactions can be updated in the
> > server
> > without much of manual work involved ???
> >
> > I need the solution early, so need your comments/suggestions soon.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> > Himansu
>
> Sounds like Replication to me.
> Each client keeps track of the changes made on that client, and sends
> only
> the identifying fields for a table (usually Primary Key), and the new
> values
> for the changed fields.
> Same mechanism on the server.

Yes this is also a case of replication, only that transactions from several client sited are updated in the server machine in a regular basis.

> Allows for conflict resolution (what if the same record is changed on
> two
> sides?) as well. Pretty efficient, lots of changes get exchanged to and
> fro
> pretty fast.

Yes, the underlying assumption is that there is no duplicacate data in any two of the client machines - so conflicts avoided in that sense. Received on Thu Feb 07 2002 - 05:33:57 CST