Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Alan <alanshein_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:18:20 -0500

We didn't necessarily expect someone to know the answer to the problem, but to demonstrate the ability to go about solving the problem, or at least to be able to admit that they didn't have a clue.

Regarding Jr. vs. Sr., etc: We don't really think of Jr. and Sr. We look for people with a certain degree of knowledge and the ability to learn quickly and creatively, and have an understanding that we are here to serve our business community. One candidate was exteremly knowledgable (easily a Sr level) but didn't get the job because when we asked the question about dealing with "difficult" users, his answers displayed a horrible attitude. The OCPs we intrerviewed could not explain how to get the system date using SQL, so OCP isn't a concern for us, either.

> > The questions were designed to be able to be answered only by an
experienced
> > person. WOuldn't even necessarily take a LOT of experience.
>
> That depends what's your definition of "an experienced person". I
> think that these questions are very good, if you need a junior DBA to
> join your team.
>
> > #20: CREATE TABLE AS SELECT * did not work. I had to list out the
columns.
> > ALso, it is not necessary to export and imoprt. After the CREATE TABLE,
all
> > you need to do is drop the old table or messa round with the data files.
Any