Re: Is Sr. DBAs afraid of not be able to pass cert exam ??

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:52:38 GMT

Christian Svensson doodled thusly:

>paycheck. I work as a consultant by the way, so my employer may charge
>some extra when I will be an OCP...

hehehe! bingo! Just joking, I see your point. Don't worry, it will reach you guys in Europe sooner or later...

>I totally agree with you, BUT if you can get a certificate as a reward
>from your studying, then I dont see anything wrong with it. Or ?

No argument there. I have no objection whatsoever to anyone taking a responsible attitude to OCP training and qualification. In fact, I think that would be the spirit under which it was originally created.

I have a BIG problem however in that as the certificate is, there is nothing in it that allows me to distinguish those that do like you, and those that just learn by rote. Nothing at all. Not by just looking at the certificate.

THAT is the problem, IMHO.

>> No. You get a written proof that you are capable of scoring in a
>> "learn by rote" exam. That is no proof whatsoever of knowledge. Not
>> in my book.
>
>I respect your opionion, but I dont share it. But I have read about
>several people who have studied 12 hours a day for 7 days and then
>taiking an exam WITHOUT even looking at the Oracle database. That my
>friend, is very sick. And I think its those people that give the OCP a
>bad reputation.

I think we both agree here, although it may sound like we don't! :-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Feb 01 2002 - 06:52:38 CST