REPOST: Re: help with export/backup please

From: laLocA <laloca_at_warum.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:24:00 GMT

> I need some advice on getting a database exported from an oracle
> server (8.16) on solaris and then be able to mine it on an NT machine
> where i have an
> 8.15 installed, or import it into mysql on linux maybe. The size is
> around 10gb with 100 tables and I dont have the schema available to
> me.
> The 8.16 database on unix is backed up daily onto a tape using veritas
> backup, but i dont have either sun hardware or veritas to restore the
> backup which could be given to me. I will have access to the database
> for a day or two and thats when i need to get the data in such a
> format so I can use on my NT or Linux server.

Moving data between two Oracle databases (of same major release) with export/import is not a big deal.
On the source database export the data: --> check exp -help for the correct syntax --> use imp -help vice versa. Read the manual to avoid possible problems with integrity constraints during import. Also check possible NLS conversions.

Moving 10 GB of data between to boxes not in the same network? This could be a problem .... I'd use a DAT streamer or would bring my box to the client and connect it to the network there for moving data (would be the easiest method). Don't forget to switch to binary mode when using FTP. You can also check immediately whether the import works.

10 GB of data files does not necessarily mean 10 GB of data (not all data blocks are full) - use the COMPRESS=Y (default) option during export. Check possible filesize limits (for example 2 GB on some Linux boxes) - there is a "filesize" parameter for exp which could help in this case. It's also easier to transport smaller portions of data without a streamer. ;-)

> First of all is this possible? What would i need to do once i have
> access to the database? What command should I use to get the data and
> the schema so I can recreate the db on NT/Linux? Do I need to check
> the quality of the data before I take it? How do i check if the data
> in the tables is corrupted or not in oracle? I dont want to end up
> with data i cant use.

Data are checked during export. You will see error messages during export if there are corrupted blocks and other more or less severe problems (use a log file for the screen output). You could also use the dbverify utility to check the integrity of datafiles.

Now I'm a little curious: the company you're working for will give you all their data on the box - resp. YOU should export them and check for possible data block errors? What will you do if there are corrupted blocks? Don't they have a DBA caring for their database and for data security? Sounds a little "adventurous" IMO.

Anyway good luck!

laLocA

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers. Received on Sun Jan 27 2002 - 06:24:00 CST