RMAN questions

From: Susanne Bagl <susanne.bagl_at_chello.at>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:50:29 GMT

I recently set up RMAN backup using Legato Networker for media management. (WinNt - Oracle 8.1.7. using a catalog on a different database)

Although everything works fine and also a restore to a different location succeeded - the backgrounnd of RMAN is still "magic" to me. I don't use catalog stored scripts but 2 channels for backup.

Do I really need a catalog for managing the backup of 1 database (which is mission-critical)? It is recommended by both Oracle and Legato. Another DBA meant that using a catalog would be much "overhead" and is not really necessary (apart from the fact that recovery would depend on a fully operational second database). Are there some guidelines or "rules of thumb" when a catalog is really recommended or is it only a sophisticated feature for "big" database environments?

How can I apply recently archived logs and redo logs during recovery which are not yet backed up by RMAN? (for example if I want to restore/recover the database on a different box). OS copy? (I guess not)

What happens if the database/instance "crashes" during RMAN-backup?

Is there a useful standard-reporting from the RMAN views?

Any recommendations or useful hints/links/books about RMAN?

Thank you!

Susanne Received on Sat Jan 26 2002 - 17:50:29 CST