Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Server installed - but no listener

From: Scott <nomail_at_nomail.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:42:31 -0000

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:4aub4u43qub0ge0kosjhoftak8ae3n1a45_at_4ax.com...
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:56:40 +0100, "Chris Neubauer"
> <water.world_at_gmx.de> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have installed Oracle 8.1.7 on my win2000 workstation, and a sample
> >database was created. Since I selected 'typical', I thought that
everything
> >that is needed would be installed properly, but I can't find the listener
> >service, and my connects via sql worksheet fail (tns: no listener).
> >
> >The only way I can connect is using sqlplus directly on the same machine
> >(sqlplus system/manager) without sid.
> >
> >How has the listener to be started and how can I install the service
> >manually so that it starts automatically at startup?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Chris
> >
> Just define a listener using the net8 assistant and start it using the
> assistant. That will be all
>
> Hth
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

The *best* test for this is to connect to SQL*Plus locally, and then loopback to the connection string as defined in your tnsnames file. ie. once connected SQL> connect user/passwd_at_mydatabase.

  1. If your listener is not operating, it will be immediately obvious.. to rectify type lsnrctl start on a command window from your /oracle/ora81x/BIN/ directory. In the event of this not working, use the net8 assistant.
  2. If you get a NETWORK ADDRESS type error, make sure you have the necessary protocols defined using NET8 assistant (IPC or TCP/IP).

Scott Donaldson, Architect, DBA, Lead developer scott_at_nospam.co.uk replace nospam with xit to reply Received on Wed Jan 23 2002 - 11:42:31 CST