Re: Installing 8i and designer

From: Daniel A. Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:58:42 +0000

My answers below.

Daniel Morgan

--------------/\\ |-|--------------- wrote:

> Hello...
>
> We are absolutely newbies, and we have to learn to work with Oracle for our
> school in a couple of weeks. To win time we like to install Oracle 8i and
> designer on a standalone PC.
>
> Our questions:
>
> Is this possible?

Yes.

> And what do we have to take in mind before we start the installation
> procedure

That it is non-trivial. That you absolutely MUST read the documentation and follow it. That this is not a case of installing some game like MS Word or Excel. This requires hard work, lots of hours invested in reading, and probably some debugging depending on your environment.

> , and after finishing the installation?

A shot of a good single scotch straight up is appropriate if you fail. A bottle of decent champagne if you succeed.

I'd strongly urge you to find someone who knows how to do it to act as advisor. In your case, with a .nl location on the web ... I'd contact Sybrand Bakker and beg his indulgence. In fact ... I'd bribe him if necessary. You will find his posting at comp.databases.oracle.server.