newbie query (decode) experts opinion wanted ;)

From: oranewbie <teekgeek99_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2002 12:07:04 -0800

I would like some input on if this query is the best way to go about things. I thought perhaps inclusion of a decode statement might make things run faster, but I'm not sure. The two tables I'm getting this off of are production and are pretty huge (millions of rows). Thanks.

 a.*,
 from table1 a,

        table2 b
       where
      ( a.employee_num = b.employee_num and a.test_id = 1 and
        a.employee_num = 'SA' and ((a.test_score >= b.test_score_min
             and a.test_score < b.test_score_max) or
       (a.test_score >= b.test_score_min and b.test_score_max is null
) ) and
  (case when b.department_flag is null then '1'
             when b.department_flag = 'Y' and  a.department_flag = 'Y'
                  then '1'
                  when b.department_flag = 'N' and a.department_flag =
'N'
                  then '1'
                  else ' ' end ) = '1')

opinions? Received on Tue Jan 22 2002 - 14:07:04 CST