Re: general tuning results

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_alltel.com>
Date: 21 Jan 2002 10:14:18 -0800

"Frederic Mockel" <frederic.mockel_at_gillardon.de> wrote in message news:<3c4c158d$0$227$4d4ebb8e_at_businessnews.de.uu.net>...
> Hi newsgroup,
>
> i have a little problem,
>
> we have a machine on w2k with 2 processors and 2GB ram and hardisk at RAID5.
> I tuned a database for this machine.
>
> Know i think on the question if the tuning results portable for example a
> Sun Solaris 2 cpus, 2 GB of ram and a hardisk at RAID 5
> or generally asked
>
> If the big parameters like CPUs Ram and HDD similar the same and only the OS
> is different, can i transport the tuning results to this maschine ?
>
> Waiting for your response
>
> Freddy

That would be a good place to start. Just be aware that even with identical hardware you have at least two variables different: OS/ORACLE version and DATA.

The designs of those OS's WIN2K and SOLARIS are very different so there will be some effect on the operation of ORACLE. And even ORACLE had to be built on each platform possibly with different tools with different optimization features.

How the data was installed also differs. One one machine the data may have been loaded bit by bit over a long period of time in a production environment. The you go to test on another machine, so you export and import the data which can lay the daya out on the disc drives very differently.

The bottom line is to start with what you have for tuning parameters, but then continue to experiment. Tuning seems to always require a great deal of testing and experiment.

Good luck.

Ed Prochak Received on Mon Jan 21 2002 - 12:14:18 CST