Re: Personal Oracle 8i on Win 2000

From: Joe Fischer <jfischer_at_insight.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:54:27 GMT

        Using SQL*Plus, log onto the database as an SQLDBA and issue "SHUTDOWN NORMAL;"
        If you do not want the DB to start up automatically, go into Windows 2000 services screen and set all the services that start with "Oracle..." from automatic to manual.

        Having Oracle running should not bog down the machine unless a lot database activity is going on. If the machine is bogged down because of memory, get some more while it is cheap.