Variable number of fields in SELECT clause?

From: Hamm <robin_at_topniveau.net>
Date: 17 Jan 2002 08:34:33 -0800

Hi,

I have the following problem I am trying to solve without reverting to dynamic SQL.

Is it possible to have a variable number of fields in the SELECT clause, where the number of fields depends on the kind of value the field has in a corresponding table.

So lets say I have this table called 'Transactions', each records is depicts the settings of a 'transaction'.

FIELD1, FIELD2, FIELD3, FIELD4
1 1 0 1

This means I want to make a query where FIELD1, FIELD2 and FIELD4 appear in the SELECT clause (these fields refer to an other table with the exact same field names, ultimately quering that other table for only those fields which have been enabled with '1' in this transactions table).

I started with something like:

SELECT alias.* FROM (SELECT * FROM USER_TAB_COLUMNS WHERE TABLE_NAME = 'TRANSACTIONS' <and has '1' as data>) ALIAS

Obviously the part between brackets is what I cant figure out. Anyway easy to refer to the data of all columns in the same statement, trying to avoid a massive OR statement? Received on Thu Jan 17 2002 - 10:34:33 CST