Re: Connecting to an Oracle 6 database

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:31:07 +0100

On 15 Jan 2002 04:57:14 -0800, ian_clowes_at_my-deja.com (ian_clowes_at_my-deja.com) wrote:

>Hi
>
>We have a vendor supplied system that announces it self as follows:
>
>Connected to: ORACLE RDBMS V6.0.27.9.2 - Production
>
>I assume this makes it an Oracle 6 server.
>
>Would I be able to connect to this easily from a 'modern' Windows
>2000/Office 2000 environment using ODBC or OLE DB?
>
>Failing that, I'll write Unix shell scripts to get the data we need
>and FTP it over. If I do this, are there any 'gotchas' I'm going to
>hit, given that my experience of SQL environments is broadly bounded
>by Sybase 4.x through to SQL Server 2000?
>
>TIA for any pointers
>IanC

You would not be able to connect at all, as you'll need sqlnet v1, which is 2 major releases behind, and more than 20 releases behind of the database software.
You would also not be capable of doing anything with the datafiles, unless you have one way or another to export the database, using the v6 export.
We are talking about *10* year old software here. Do you expect you can connect Windows 2000 to Windows 3.0? You don't! Leave this database where it belongs: in the graveyard or a museum.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Jan 15 2002 - 11:31:07 CST