Re: Joining tables - SQL Sever & Oracle

From: Brian Tkatch <SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:21:47 GMT

On 14 Jan 2002 14:40:21 -0800, misplacedmackem_at_hotmail.com (Misplaced Mackem) wrote:

>I have two SQL Server databases and I am migrating one of them into
>Oracle. The DB that is being migrated has a stored procedure that
>performs joins between the SQL Server DB and what is now the Oracle DB
>and places the results into a new table.
>
>Is there any way I can do this (Perform a Join with a remote SQL
>Server database table) from within Oracle? If not, any suggestions?
>
>Thanks
>Drew

You want to look at Heterogeneous Services, and if Oracle supports it for your platform. It has two subsets. One is Transparent Gateway. There is a per client charge, and it sits on the computer running the non-Oracle DB. You'll need to check that Oracle supports it.

There other subset is Generic Connectivity. This supports ODBC, OLEDB, and I think something else. You'll need a local connection to the non-Oracle DB, and then point Oracle at the resource.

HTH,
Brian Received on Tue Jan 15 2002 - 08:21:47 CST