Re: Why Microsoft certificates are only good as asswipes

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2002 17:07:39 -0800

"Daniel A. Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3C3F049D.EA0E728B_at_exesolutions.com>...

> > > Perhaps that's one reaosn you're not a hiring manager... :)

> > > All certification exams test a specific knowledge set. If that set
> > > doesn't fit with the organization doing the interview, the exams are
> > > irrelevant. I don't know any hiring manager that bases a hiring
> > > decision on certifications, of any kind. After all, I don't hire
> > > certifications, I hire people.

Of course, try getting _to_ the hiring manager through the ring of HR filters...

And of course, many organizations _do_ hire certifications. In some cases, to their detriment.

> > That's true. You just have to be a good judge of character.

Man, with all the homo-necrophiliac child molesters out there, I really wonder how many people are good judges of character. Actually, I don't wonder, because I'm married to a clinical psychologist who's been specially trained to spot lying and denial, and even she gets bamboozled at times. In fact, the better liars can fool anyone. Even machines. At the extreme, even themselves.

> > I wonder how many companies out there that got bitten bad by someone that
> > has lied on their resume?? Just curious.
>
> All of them. A resume' is a marketing and public relations document. Not a
> sworn historical document.

Actually, most companies these days tell you they will fire you if they discover you've lied on an application or resume. When it comes out in the media, they do fire you.

> And references are equally valuable.
>
> The only thing that matters is a good technical interview by someone that
> knows enough to detect B.S.

I've had a few interviews go wrong because the interviewer suffered from the incompetence paradox - he wouldn't believe me because he didn't know enough. So he thinks I'm BS'ing when I'm not. That really torques me off.

Maybe this from 5+ years ago is interesting, or even relevant: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&th=566f08129270dbf3&rnum=3

Note to Mr. Gates: Good troll!

> Daniel Morgan

jg

--
Documentation is a powerful defense mechanism.