Re: how to 'insert a row, insert another row, commit the second insert and rollback the first'

From: Scott Mattes <ScottMattes_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 20:38:25 GMT

Now that I have asked, I found the answer.

Autonomous PL/SQL Blocks
Autonomous PL/SQL blocks are PL/SQL blocks that have a transaction scope independent of the transaction scope of the calling PL/SQL block. They can perform operations, commit, and rollback independent of the transactions in the calling block, before returning to the calling block. Transactions within an autonomous PL/SQL block are referred to as autonomous transactions. They are not nested transactions in that they do not share resources with the calling transaction and committed changes are immediately visible to other transactions regardless of whether the calling PL/SQL block commits or rolls back. A PL/SQL stored procedure/function, local procedure/function, a package/type method, or a top-level anonymous block can be declared to be an autonomous block using the pragma specification:

pragma AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION

The above specification can appear anywhere in the declaration section of a PL/SQL block, but at most once.

The Oracle8i autonomous transactions feature provides a means of constructing reusable application subcomponents that perform specialized operations.