Access-to-Oracle

From: Dan Barron <astralwarrior_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Jan 2002 12:56:55 -0800

A common question I'm sure, but here goes...

I'm an experienced DBA who is using Oracle for the first time. I have a couple of Access databases to convert and was wondering what you all think is the best way to accomplish this. The databases are Access 2000 databases and my Oracle 8i version is 8.1.7.0.0.

I read about a Migration Assistant, but it seemed limited Access 97 plus I couldn't find it anywhere to download. Is the MA the best way? I could write an SQL script to create the tables, etc. and then export the data to text files and import, but that seems like a lot of work. I've tried the "Export" command in Access, but the results are not satisfactory (it seems very stupid about data types, for one thing.)

Any help or pointers to information as to the best way to accomplish this would be much appreciated.

dan

Dan Barron
ACP-ASIM
dbarron_at_mail.acponline.org Received on Mon Jan 07 2002 - 14:56:55 CST