Re: Can't drop Index on empty table - ORA-02429

From: Stephen B <stephen.bell_at_cgi.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:15:07 -0500

Hi,

The index was likely created by Oracle as a result of someone making those columns the Primary Key (as opposed to being created directly with the CREATE INDEX command)

Therefore, to get rid of it, drop the Primary Key constraint and let Oracle drop the index...use syntax like the following:

SQL> alter table t
  2 drop constraint t_pk;

Table altered.

(of course you'll substitute the actual table name and constraint name)

So, work on dropping the Primary Key constraint itself , not the indexes that enforce it! Since the index was created indirectly through the PK constraint it must be dropped that way too or you get the error you've described!

Take care,

Steve