Help with Oracle JDBC pooling classes...

From: David Goldstein <daveg_at_comanage.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:06:08 -0500

I have written some tests to demonstrate that conneciton pooling is working properly, however I am not getting the expected results.

Using class oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionCacheImpl and methods getConnection, getActiveSize and getCacheSize, I atempt to measure the cache utilization.
a) If I call getConnection 10 times (pool min=2, max=10, schema is dynamic ir fixed wait, no difference) on one thread, the stats are returned as expected: getActiveSize = 10, getCacheSize = 10. But the connections do not appear to be released no matter how much idle time passes. Is there no idle time logic in this class?
b) if I start 10 threads and each one calls getConnection and blocks waiting for a signal, and the main thread does the same as in (a), the active size = 0 and the cache size = 2, as if the cache were never utilized at all!

Using class oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleOCIConnectionPool (from 9i client) initialized to (min=2, max=10, timeout=4, nowait=false), it is even worse... c) calling getConnection 10 times still yields a pool size of 2 and an active size of 0
d) using 10 threads where each calls getConnection and blocks (even if the thread also gets a statement and obtains a result set), still pool size of 2 and active size of 0 is reported!

Please note that for the multithreaded tests I have verified via trce the exact sequence of events - please do not assume that my threads "just haven't executed the code yet".

So is there some other notion of "active" that I am not understanding, or are these pool measuring methods broken? Is pooling working at all? Why does it behave differently with multiple threads for the OracleConnectionCacheImpl?

Thanks for any and all info - I'm really at a loss!