Re: Can not connect sql *plus

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 19:31:11 -0700

Ross wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed Oracle 8i Enterprise edition on Windows 2000 OS. Also I
> have installed Forms/Reports 6i.
> when I start sql *plus and insert username/password then I get following
> error. I can not connect to the database. I checked in the "Task Manager",
> that the oracle.exe is running.
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-12203: TNS: Unable to connect to destination.
>
> I tried various username/Password but same error. It logs me out after three
> attempt.
>
> Any advise,
>
> Ross

$ oerr tns 12203
12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination"

// *Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening.
// This error can also occur because of underlying network transport
// problems.
// *Action: Verify that the service name you entered on the command line
// was correct. Ensure that the listener is running at the remote node
and
// that the ADDRESS parameters specified in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct. // Finally, check that all Interchanges needed to make the connection are
// up and running.

You do not have tnsnames.ora set up correctly. Also look at sqlnet.ora.

--
Ron Reidy