Cannot connect using Perl::DBI (aix)

From: Peter Levine <Peter.Levine_at_Mckesson.com>
Date: 2 Jan 2002 14:08:11 -0800

Using AIX 4.3 I can connect to a remote server's AIX database using sqlplus and can verify the connection via tnsping, but I cannot connect remotely using Perl::DBI::connect(). I can connect via perl if I am actually logged on to the remote server.

tnsping output from local server to remote server: Attempting to contact
(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=mckcommunity1.world)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=eh04)(Port=1521)) OK (10 msec)

perl output from
$dbh=DBI->connect("DBI:Oracle:$database",$user,$password)
where
$database="myDB" and $user="user_at_myDB"

connecting: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name (DBD: login failed)

My DBA has the listner.ora and tnsnames.ora file beneath /etc NOT beneath $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin so I have defined environmental param TNS_ADMIN as /etc.

I do not see an sqlnet.ora file defined anywhere. Do I need it?

Can anyone tell me why I can't connect via perl.

TIA Received on Wed Jan 02 2002 - 16:08:11 CST