How to (cheap) reference an object

From: Richard Limanowski <richard.limanowski_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1 Jan 2002 12:47:45 -0800

Hi everybody,

I try to implement a fast two dimensional lookup table in pl/sql by storing pl/sql tables in another pl/sql table. This works fine but when I try to retrieve stored tables I get a problem: Oracle seems to create a copy of the table every time I try to get the reference to it.
I tried to pass the table to a subroutine (nocopy is implicit for in-only parameters) but this did not work as supposed.
I must be missing something.
Can anybody help?

create or replace procedure p1(p_cnt int, p_pass boolean) as

SQL> exec p1(10000, false);

Elapsed: 00:00:00.03
SQL> exec p1(10000, true);

Elapsed: 00:00:06.29

I test with 9i under Linux.

Richard Received on Tue Jan 01 2002 - 14:47:45 CST