RE: Newbie Learning Oracle

From: Carsten Peters <carpet_at_wanadoo.es>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 18:53:20 +0000 (UTC)

Hi David,

Try Ethan's pages at www.freetechnicaltraining.com/Oracle/Free_OCP/. He has loads of slides with audio.
I would rather not recommand to pay for e-learning since there are so many resources for free out there in the net.

Check also the numerous links on Ethan's pages.

In this newsgroup they usually don't like newbie questions. It's something like "the more you know the more arrogant you become". Anyway, you learn a lot reading the posts and replies.

Good luck,
Carsten

Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.misc
From: "David Kistner" <kistners_at_davesworld.net> Subject: Newbie Learning Oracle
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 05:52:53 -0600

I need advice. I'd like to eventually be an Oracle DBA. I've taken two basic classes so far -- Oracle8i Fundamentals I and II. These were classes through ElementK learning (it's on line training). At work I'm allowed to work a bit with an 8i database a bit with SQL, PL/SQL, Discoverer, but that's about it. Primarily I work with MS Access for database tasks. I'm planning on taking PL/SQL classes from ElementK in hopes of passing the certification tests for 9i over the next year.

I have 3 questions:

  1. What books would you recommend to help me learn 9i?
  2. Is online learning at ElementK and working through books enough to prepare for these tests?
  3. Is there something "out there" that is better online learning -- and still somewhat affordable?

The Oracle guys at work are very decent people but also extremely busy. I thought that as I learn more about Oracle I might ask if there are some tasks they might allow me to help them with so that I can learn more "hands on" stuff.