REPOST: SQLNet/NET8 Protocol definition,

From: Sharon Azulai <sazulai_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 18:37:50 GMT

We are developing an embedded client that needs to communicate with an Oracle server, I have two options,
1. Create a server side application that will talk to the client. 2. Write my own ODBC driver for the client paltform which will make development of the application easier.

Do you think I can get that kind of information from Oracle partner program ?

S-A>

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> The closest thing would be OCI (Oracle call interface). In the manuals
> there is an API to use Net8 to communicate via Net8 to another machine, but
> it does not reveal what exactly one would do to communicate to an Oracle
> server via Net8 only. That is it is more along the lines of a socket
> interface and you have to decide what to do on both ends; it is not an
> interface to the database.
>
> OCI offers a heck of a lot of control and high performance. What are you
> trying to achieve by going around it?
> Jim
> "Sharon Azulai" <sazulai_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>I need to write my own interface to NET8, is there a description of the
>>protocol used by NET8 to communicate between the client and the server ?
>>
>>Thanks in Advance.
>>S-A>

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla. Received on Sat Dec 29 2001 - 12:37:50 CST