Re: Newbie: Installed Oracle, what now?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:47:50 +0100

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:12:10 +0100, Colin Hoffmann <colin_at_schluesselgaessli.ch> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I installed Oracle 8i on my Sun. But i'm kinda stuck now ... is there a
>commandline Interface and/or a graphical tool to administer it? So far, I
>haven't found anything :-( Hints, anyone?
>
>Also, what's a good way to learn about Oracle? I already did a great deal
>of developing using SQL (in MySQL), but i wonder about Oracles specialties.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>greetings from Switzerland
>Colin

The commandline interface is called sqlplus. I guess you never read the Getting Started Manual, did you? Please do so The graphical tool to administer it is called Oracle Enterprise Manager. It runs on either Sun or NT

There are some obvious recommendations
- you should forget about anything your learned in MySQL. The way of thinking in sqlserver, mysql and other products is completely different from Oracle, the other products use stored procedures for about everything, Oracle doesn't
- People exposed to other database products have a habit of not reading any Oracle Manuals. You should at least read the getting started manual, and the Oracle Concepts manual - No one should be without Oracle 8i the complete reference, and the Oracle 8i DBA handbook, both written by Kevin Loney and published by Oracle Press. The main disadvantage of those books is you'll need a cart to transport them, but at least Oracle the Complete Reference ships with a CD Rom
- Of course there is the demo schema, usually known as the scott/tiger database (username scott password tiger) which demonstrates the main features of Oracle SQL (It is a very smart schema). The schema can be found in $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/demobld.sql

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Dec 28 2001 - 13:47:50 CST