Re: Default db

From: Manuela Mueller <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:37:50 +0100

Yaron Avior wrote:

> Hi,
> How can I set my default db to other than my user name ? i.e. my user
> login name is xxx,
> and so is my default db (schema). I want yyy to be my default db so I
> can write "select * from table1" in my queries, instead of "select *
> from yyy.table1".
> thanks

Hello Yaron,
please post OS, RDBMS-version. These infos are necessary for people trying to answer your question.
You are confusing db name and schemas.

If you want to simplify you SQL-statement, create a synonym (I assume that's what you are after..). Schemas Objects and how to create a synonym are described in the Concepts manual, at URL: http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/c08schem.htm#3187 Note: Create yourself a free account at OTN if you don't already have one.

In order to rename your SID (rename your db), steps are OS dependent. If your OS is UNIX/Linux, look at
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:351063::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:318216852435,%7Bdb%7D%20and%20%7Bname%7D

There is also an article describing the procedure for M$ NT. At http://asktom.oracle.com/ search for 'db name'

Regards
Manuela Mueller Received on Sun Dec 23 2001 - 05:37:50 CST