Re: Help installing on Mankrake distribution

From: vyper <tgga_at_vyper.karoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 08:48:43 -0000

"FredM" <fredmotta_at_centurytel.net> wrote in message news:x27V7.8576$Xs4.1508930_at_feed.centurytel.net...
> I posted this message a few days ago on comp.databases.oracle.server,
> but haven't gotten any response yet (expect spammers). Hope to get better
> results here.
>
> I'm trying to install Oracle8i on Linux (Mandrake 8.1) and after several
> days, I'm starting to see some progress, but just barely. I do mean
BARELY.
> I picked up the Macmillan (publisher) package at a half price bookstore
and
> thought this was going to be a breeze. The install documentation is fair,
> and probably makes sense to experience Linux users. I'm just not there
yet.

Snipped

> # Here's what I get when I run the installer:
> [oracle_at_nebula cdrom]$ ./runInstaller
> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please
> wait...
> Error in CreateOUIProcess(): -1
> : No such file or directory

Snip
> So, what's the answer?
>
> FredM

Well yes you've done a lot of stuff.

Mandrake isn't actually a certified version of Linux for installing Oracle 8.1.7 but it should work. My jre is in /usr/lib/jre and JDK in /ust/lib/jdk1.1.8 which helps. The installer should create the directories for you anyhow, but ensure that the ones you have are owned by the oracle user and that they are in the correct group. If they are filesystems, the same thing applies. Mount the cdrom as root. Then you should log into XWindow as the oracle user, open a terminal from within XWindow, type unset LANG <enter> unset your ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE, then put in the full path to runInstaller i.e. /media/cdrom/runInstaller.sh otherwise you will be unable to unmount the CD should the need arise.

Don't consider these instructions are 100% right (they should workl though), since as I wrote earlier - you are not on a certified version of Linux.

You may still run into the same problem that most Linux users had, which is that Oracle was compiled with an earlier version of glibc, in which case you will need to install without creating a database. After which download the glibc patch from Oracle, apply that and then use dbassist to create your database.

HTH, Pete Received on Sun Dec 23 2001 - 02:48:43 CST