Help installing on Mankrake distribution

From: FredM <fredmotta_at_centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:05:52 -0800

I posted this message a few days ago on comp.databases.oracle.server, but haven't gotten any response yet (expect spammers). Hope to get better results here.

I'm trying to install Oracle8i on Linux (Mandrake 8.1) and after several days, I'm starting to see some progress, but just barely. I do mean BARELY. I picked up the Macmillan (publisher) package at a half price bookstore and thought this was going to be a breeze. The install documentation is fair, and probably makes sense to experience Linux users. I'm just not there yet.

Well, here's what I've done so far:
- As root, set up mount points for software: /Oracle/u01; for databse:
/Oracle/u02.
- Created a 'dba' group.

And now, here's where I'm getting hung-up. The installation instructions say to create a symbolic link to the jre as in '/usr/local/jre' to 'installed_path_of_jre/jre_116_v5' assuming that the downloaded version of jre is named 'jre_116_v5'. Okay, so what does this mean? Make a symbolic link to the 'java' symbolic link? Make a link to folder '/usr/jre'? '/usr/jre/bin'? And does it say WHERE to put that link? NO! So, I experiment... alot. I do variations of the following which seems to be as close to these instructions as I can think of: 'ln -s /usr/jre/bin/java /usr/local/jre'. And this is what I get under the 'oracle' user after mounting '/mnt/cdrom' and running ./runInstaller:

# This is my java test:
[oracle_at_nebula cdrom]$ java -version
java version "1.2.2"
Classic VM (build Linux_JDK_1.2.2_RC4, native threads, sunwjit)

# This is what's on the cdrom:
[oracle_at_nebula cdrom]$ ls
BonusChapter/ Examples/ install/ relnote.pdf runInstaller* Translations/
doc/ index.htm relnote.htm rr_moved/ stage/

# Here's what I get when I run the installer: [oracle_at_nebula cdrom]$ ./runInstaller
Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre. Please wait...
Error in CreateOUIProcess(): -1
: No such file or directory

That line [blah, blah, blah.."from /usr/local/jre/bin/jre."] just doesn't make sense to me. The '../bin/jre' part of that message suggests that the 'java' link in '/usr/jre/bin' should be renamed as 'jre', but that's nuts! So, what's the answer?

FredM Received on Fri Dec 21 2001 - 22:05:52 CST