Re: FILE I/O other than UTL_FILE package in PL/SQL

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2001 10:13:38 -0800

asg2037_at_hotmail.com (Abe) wrote in message news:<57e4ce6e.0112200705.6e59fe0_at_posting.google.com>...
> "Scott Mattes" <ScottMattes_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<X3bU7.1394$Cx2.485165_at_news1.news.adelphia.net>...
> > If by 'system' you mean a server, see Thomas' reply. If you mean the user's
> > PC then check out TEXT_IO, it is almost exactly like UTL_FILE (the syntax
> > for open is different, don't need two params to tell where to gete the
> > file).
>
> When trying to declare a file handle using TEXT_IO.FILE_TYPE I'm getting an error:
>
> flhndl TEXT_IO.FILE_TYPE;
> *
> ERROR at line 2:
> ORA-06550: line 2, column 10:
> PLS-00201: identifier 'TEXT_IO.FILE_TYPE' must be declared
> ORA-06550: line 2, column 10:
> PL/SQL: Item ignored
>
> I'm running the script in sqlplus.

I could be wrong but I believe that text_io is a Forms procedure that runs on the PC, that is, read or write a PC file. With SQLPlus you are passing the SQL to the database to be ran there. Utl_file runs on the database server and performs IO only on the database server. I do not think you can reference text_io via SQLPlus. But if I am wrong I would like to know how to use it outside of Forms.