Re: Substr()

From: Ms. D.H. Harvey <qq45_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: 20 Dec 2001 16:29:42 GMT

,Joachim Hofmann <joachim.hof_at_gmx.de> wrote:
: Hello,

: we use SQL Server, but I got Oracle Code here with substr() in it. I
: have to know the parameter meanings, which stands for the beginning or
: the length, or is is it the character position.. .you know what I mean?

: Thank You

: Achim

SYNTAX:
    SUBSTR(char,m [,n])

PURPOSE:
    Returns a portion of char, beginning at character m, n characters     long. If m is positive, Oracle counts from the beginning of char to     find the first character. If m is negative, Oracle counts backwards     from the end of char. The value m cannot be 0. If n is omitted,     Oracle returns all characters to the end of char. The value n     cannot be less than 1.

HTH Helen Received on Thu Dec 20 2001 - 10:29:42 CST