Re: Oracle 8i Certification

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 13 Dec 2001 03:09:13 -0800

chewmonster_at_hotmail.com (Jerold Von Hemel, RN) wrote in message news:<5429f37a.0112120942.4c0dc29f_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I am an IT student and plan to take an advanced db class in the
> spring. Traditionally it has taught 8i. The class prepares one for
> the first 2 OCP certification exams. I noted today that the 8i exams
> discontinue in March.
>
> First, if I learn 8i Database will the knowledge help me on the 9i
> exams?
>

> Second, are 8i and 9i similar or dissimilar.
>

> Third, is there any value in learning 8i (organizations staying with
> it over upgrading), or should I push for 9i.
>

> I am not sure what my universities position is on the subject and
> would like to have some information in hand to help them justify 9i in
> the classroom.
>

> I sincerely appreciate any information you can offer me.
>
> Thank you,
>
> JV

Oracle usually doesn't change the architecture of the database from version to version.
Many organizations (at least in the Netherlands) still use Oracle 7.3 and Oracle 8.0. Usually upgrades have to be justified to upper management, and the reluctancy to upgrade is increasing with the speed of the upgrades, just as the relunctancy to upgrade to the newest version of M$ crap is also rapidly increasing. It might be different elsewhere, but I wouldn't force anyone to upgrade to 9i rightaway.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Dec 13 2001 - 05:09:13 CST