PERL , DBI , DBD and ORACLE

From: farooq <farooqm_at_mail.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2001 12:05:06 -0800

Hi,
  We have oracle 8.1.5 running on AIX 4.3.1. I installed PERL 5.6 , DBI 1.20 and DBD-Oracle-1.12. When running a PERL programs, I am getting this unusal problem. There is something wrong with this combination, as the following message is generated when trying to insert :

DBD::Oracle::st execute failed: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into
("SAC"."T_ANNPROG"."SYS_REC_ACTN_CD") (DBD ERROR: OCIStmtExecute) at
bad8i3.pl line 37.
ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into
("SAC"."T_ANNPROG"."SYS_REC_ACTN_CD") (DBD ERROR: OCIStmtExecute) at
bad8i3.pl line 37.
$ pwd

I am not sure if this is the right group I am posting to, but the PERL guys referred to DB groups. Basically , the error shown above is from a PERL program that is trying to insert into a database. The thing it is complaining about is a blank space " " that it is considering as a NULL. I can make the same insert with a blank space from SQL*PLUS, but if I put in a blank space in the insert statement (where the field in which I am trying to insert into is NOT NULLABLE), then I get this error. Somehow, it is not recognizing the blank space ,and mistaking it for a NULL, which souldn't be the case. I have tried a different combination of PERL ( and its DBI and DBD). The weird thing is , on a Oracle7.3.2 Database running on the same machine, with older version of PERL ( and DBI,DBD), the same exact program just runs fine.

Any help ? ANYONE ???

Thanks
Farooq Received on Tue Dec 11 2001 - 14:05:06 CST