Re: Diff b/w 8i and 9i, which one is better

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 22:05:18 GMT

Here are some minor points on the subject....

Oracle 8i is more "mature" since it has been around longer. Oracle 9i is new, contains tons of new features when compared with 8i, but is less "mature". This is one reason why many DBA's are holding off on placing 9i into a production environment.

As for the OCP-DBA track....If you take the 8i track, then you'll want to complete the upgrade exam after obtaining OCP 8i in order to be certified on 9i. This will keep you current. Or you can bypass 8i and start out with the 9i track. The choice is yours.

HTH,
Brian