Re: migration emergency !

From: Carl Rosenberger <carl_at_db4o.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:49:44 +0100

Ron Reidy wrote:
> > But I've intended today to migrate from Oracle 8.0.5 to Oracle 8.1.7.

[snip]

> > Upgrade or migration cannot proceed beacause of the following(s) :
> > - following parameter(s) does not have 0 (zero) value : job_queue_processes
>
> It means the parameter job_queue_processes must have a non-zero value.

Now what additional help does your statement provide?

> Just out of curiosity, didn't you read the migration docs **before** you
> attempted this? And, didn't you test on a non-production system
> **before** attempting on a production system? just some things to
> ponder for the next time.
> --
> Ron Reidy
> Oracle DBA
> Reidy Consulting, L.L.C.

Is this the kind of help to expect, if you have problems with Oracle? ...people even making fun of you...

In my opinion a database engine should take care to migrate it's versions automatically, *without having to read documentation*, ideally without you even noticing anything but a startup message: "This database needs to be migrated. It will not be backward compatible. Proceed?"
...especially on minor version changes like 8.0.5 to 8.1.7... All previous features should be available without worries. Why can't Oracle provide *easy* functionality, with all the money that they earn? I am afraid they don't even care.

Kind regards,
Carl

---
Carl Rosenberger