Re: Oracle and SAN

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 12:12:54 -0500

    Yes. With the EMC/SAN we have we don't get to decide which disks will hold our mirrored online redo, controlfiles, etc. We raised this objection with the hardware guys last month and were told this is progress and at some point we'd have to learn to "trust the technology". They had mirrored disks, multiple disk controllers and even two cables between the controllers and disks. Friday the hardware guys lost both cables, the databases crashed down, and we had some ugly messages in our alert logs.

    By the end of the day, in this case, we had fully restored and recovered. But we still don't like not being able to place Oracle pieces where we want them to be. Friday could have been much worse.