Re: segmentation fault in runInstaller

From: Andrew Allen <ajallen_at_mailhost.det.ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 23:09:17 GMT

Christian Motschke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem installing 9i on a Debian testing machine. The runInstaller program crashes, imideately after starting it with the following error:
>
> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from /tmp/OraInstall/jre/bin/jre. Please wait...
> SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation
> stackbase=0xbffff1ec, stackpointer=0xbffff0b4

Are you, by chance, running on a pentium4 installed in an IBM PeeCee? If this is the case, there is a known bug that I ran into installing 8i. The bug is in the universal installer -- it uses the Java VM.

Search on Metalink for kewords pentium, ibm, jvm, etc. You should be find the relevent bug note and patch/work around info. -- I'm sorry, I do not have the info with me at home.

--
Andrew Allen
Livonia, MI