Re: How much load will this SQL cause

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2001 08:49:19 -0800

In article <d24b10ea.0112071529.50cc84a0_at_posting.google.com>, anilasher_at_hotmail.com says...

>Please help me resolve an on going debate about how much load the
>following SQL will cause if it were to called prior to every SQL call
>
>select * from dba_objects where OWNER = 'SOMEONE'
>AND OBJECT_TYPE IN ('FUNCTION','PROCEDURE','PACKAGE','PACKAGE BODY')
>AND STATUS = 'VALID'
>AND to_date(TIMESTAMP,'YYYY-MM-DD:HH24:MI:SS') >
>(select logon_time FROM v$sessio where audsid = userenv('SESSIONID'))
>
>The purpose of the SQL is to determine if any Functions, Packages or
>Procedures have been re-compiled after this connection was
>established.

why? the server will detect that automatically and tell you about it with an error if you need to know (if you don't need to know, it won't tell you).

why the heck would you want to do this?

Yes, it'll definitely slow things down.