Re: Which PeopleSoft tables should be to analysed for peoplesoft 8.14 on Oracle 8.17 (AIX 4.3)?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:53:36 GMT

Bruce Gillespie doodled thusly:

>When running PeopleSoft on Oracle 8i we experienced some performance
>degradation after executing analyze_schema. It appears the incorrect stats
>on the temporary tables cause some statements to choose the wrong execution
>path and take hours to run instead of minutes. To improve performance we
>deleted the stats from the 4200 tables we think are temporary tables. Has
>anybody else encountered this problem and has a solution?

Yes. What happens is that your analyze was performed when the temporary tables had data in them. As opposed to being empty like they normally are.

What you should do is set the optimizer goal to CHOOSE at init.ora level. Then analyze all tables AND indexes. Then you delete all statistics for all tables that have "TMP" or "TEMP" as part of their name.

That should get you going.

Oh yeah: turn off hash joins. They are deadly with Peoplesoft.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Fri Dec 07 2001 - 05:53:36 CST