Re: help searching text with accents and umlauts

From: Damien Salvador <damien.salvador_at_via.ecp.fr>
Date: 6 Dec 2001 23:01:30 GMT

On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:36:17 -0500, lee <lee_at_jamtoday.com> a écrit:

>I hear you saying that we can escape having to store the target strings twice
>(once plain, once fancy) by letting intermediaText/iText/context ... whatever
>Larry is calling it these days create a map so that it "knows" that a plain
>vanilla "e" is related to an
>e accent aigue, e accent grave, e umlaut (is that allowed?) e circumflex and so
>on.

That's exactely the case. e circumflexe or umlaut is allowed. I think even the t grave (seen in Tchech Republic) can be.

You just store your text 'as is', and iText makes the indexing for you.

>I suppose the plain vanilla "e" would be the "base letter". I dont undertand
>what you
>mean by "following the NLS settings"

I must admit I am not all clear on that.

We were using only the "base_letter". But we experienced problems with composed word (déjà-vu ... ) and the support told us there were variations.

Indeed it seems that depending on the charset the base is in, mapping is not always the same (maybe it was an example with portuguese, I'm not sure).

It is a specificity for 9i.

--
Damien