Re: help searching text with accents and umlauts

From: lee <lee_at_jamtoday.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:36:17 -0500

Thanx for the reply. Let me see if I understand you properly....

I hear you saying that we can escape having to store the target strings twice (once plain, once fancy) by letting intermediaText/iText/context ... whatever Larry is calling it these days create a map so that it "knows" that a plain vanilla "e" is related to an
e accent aigue, e accent grave, e umlaut (is that allowed?) e circumflex and so on.

I suppose the plain vanilla "e" would be the "base letter". I dont undertand what you
mean by "following the NLS settings"

. I've been reading various of Oracle's white papers on localization, so I'm vaguely familiar with the role of various NLS parameters in setting the date formats, currency formats, numerical display formats , collation sequences, and so on, but I didnt see anythig about NLS parameters that control or influence whether an accented "e" would match a query for a plain "e". Perhaps there are more roles for NLS parameters inside of "intermediaText/Context/iText" ?